Monday, November 25, 2019

Poetry Club Continues...

Harvest Season
Renga
by
2727California                       
                  Street
Poetry
Club
11/20/19






This collection of Renga poetry was collaboratively created on November 20, 2019, at 2727 California Street by the Poetry Club.  Debby Charlene Segal facilitated and edited this work.
The poets who contributed stanzas:

Debby
Lydia
Lylah
Marco
Sophia



























October moon, shrunk
to a bright threaded sliver
lights sleeping wheat field

pitch black five-thirty PM
sight given on next full moon

I know water is
west of here water waiting
for me to visit

the water is very kind
and is very good for me

I wish I was home
but now I'm stuck over here
when will it be done?

I wish to be understood
I see a middle finger

I am lost in thought
climbing my way back to here
noticing my foot

change is the only constant
constantly I am surprised

does a llama cry?
does a llama feel wonder?
how will we know this?

I asked the pensive white beast
contemptuous, quiet said all

wild fire, flown water
trees flaming hot, smoke rising
sad, not beautiful

volcanoes are amazing
so, so hot, the fire is blue

I once heard of a
volcano rock goddess in
a Hawaiian book

I draw my thought with a pen
but my thought starts to fade now



heavy blue squash sat
on the counter in low light
early dinner time

the dinner bell rings---  ding! ding!
the hungry workers eat squash

in a quiet wood
a bear scoops amber honey
hibernation soon

not so quiet, bird splashed blue
squawks and dives between branches

if only, she said
yes, if, said he, but no more
thoughts stopped, quiet glances

heartaches are truly the worst
but it makes you feel alive

the little feeling
inside is all that we have
cherished sacredness

cherished hearts of good people
we will show this world now

peaceful, peaceful fish
swimming in the great big sea
showing love and peace

every scale a message now
one fish eating another

a muddy footprint
under a bridge--- earthly thing
I live here alone

I am of the earth, are you?
I am of the sand and rock

goddess of the night
as I sleep--- watch over me---
you rule the darkness

we want to live forever
so we shouldn't choose to die



fruits are always in season
California persimmons
sweet little pumpkins

crunchy leaves fall to the ground
crunchy leaves all get crunched on

I love the forest
the forest is so peaceful
I wish I lived there

caterpillars do
and thick yellow slugs

I am in the sun
wishing to be in shadows
wishing for something

where did my youth go? Tell me!
I ranted at the hilltops

I lost it somewhere
wrinkles and gray hair suit me---
I know myself now

some things gone need not be found
some losses are natural

this one blue-eyed dog
seems at times not animal
but then poops on rug

animals--- like us, I thought
but are probably smarter

I have been thinking
about Chinese medicine
body as nature

they all help us live if we
share all the things we all have

who is that I see?
there is something in the sea!
there lays big Nessie!

I've heard the story since birth
I'm humble at the lake's edge



a man rakes the grass
he can hear the crunch of leaves
crunch, crunch, crunch, crunch, crunch

tree trunks get knocked hard with brooms
walnuts in strange black shells

sea and horizon
one color silver I think
seal slips off the rocks

the wet rocks are slippery
and covered in barnacles

where am I to go?
is the cry of the wild geese
where is my new home?

the fish could not hear, safe below
the pounding rain, a soft rhythm

her bicycle gone
who would do this, she despaired
then--- there!  ---by a tree

jump for joy my bike is here
freedom is with me, goodbye!

grrr, hsst, slither, bay
ba -tat-tat-tat ---"who goes there?"
night animals live

look right over there--- you see?
the animals who rule night

earth, fire and water
metal wood air--- they help us
they all help us live

water is in the air now
a big dark cloud overhead

together with God
rain on top of our fat heads
God don't mind puddles

today I will be happy---
I'm not promised tomorrow



butternut squash at
the market--- kale and corn, too;
one more tomato

The shop workers are bored--not
having seen the young corn sprout up

large flat rock, on sand
sea water just a puddle
has seen angry water

expansive, full of all
emotion, the ocean, our sea

I do not see you
you are big and unmoving
where are you brother?

although I may not see well,
I can still hear your deep voice

I know I just lost,
but that is alright with me
at least I got it

I got something that's just mine
I floated on the water

crows fly over me
an elephant steps over
belly grazing head

bark peeling from the tree trunks
shows the stag has scratched his head

small twigs crunch under
the feet of all who run here
soon they will be soil

ashes to ashes, dust/dust
soil releasing old spirits

Icarus soared, high
ecstatic, triumph is his!
Even as wings melt

we could live a very long time
if we really wanted to
         
              

               *The End*

No comments:

Post a Comment